A Tradition of Family Service
Through the years our names, faces and buildings have changed. what has not changed is our commitment to serving families with dignity and respect. We recognize and appreciate the confidence and trust the Marshall County Community has placed in our funeral home for the past 137 years.
In 1879, what was to be one of Plymouth's oldest businesses was established to serve all of Marshall County. The J. Leonard & Son Carriage and Undertaking firm became located opposite the Plymouth Opera House on West LaPorte Street. A tradition of quality service and value had begun that would span three centuries.
In 1902, son, Charles R. Leonard a cabinet maker, re-located the undertaking business to the corner of Michigan and LaPorte Streets (the current site of the Rees Cinema Theater), here he would add furniture to the retail storefront.
In 1920, brothers; Halleck F. and Ralph E. Johnson became successors and formed Johnson Brothers Furniture and Undertaking. Together, they were quick to provide the Plymouth area with ambulance service.
In 1928, Ralph E. Johnson could foresee the change from visitation and services held in the deceased own residence to a location dedicated to that purpose. It was then that he made the decision to move the funeral business to a residence located at 1100 N. Michigan Street. This provided Marshall County with its first "funeral home", offering a dignified and comfortable setting to serve families. Proud to have his son Francis W. Johnson become apart of the business, this new location became known as Johnson & Son Funeral Home.
In 1947, Francis W. Johnson was elected Mayor of Plymouth. That same year following the death of his father; Francis and his wife Martha, assisted by Max E. Tharp operated the Johnson Funeral Home and expanded the facilities to meet the growing needs of the community until the Johnson's retirement.
In 1978, the Johnson family ownership transferred to Richard and Phyllis Davidson, both Fulton County natives. Under their leadership many physical improvements were made to provide greater comfort and service to more than one family at the same time. The Davidsons are now retired residing in North Manchester.
In 1995, Plymouth native Randall L. Danielson and his wife Eleanor Kacmar-Danielson assumed the ownership and operation of what is now known as the Johnson - Danielson Funeral Home. Mr. Danielson has been affiliated with the funeral home since 1973.
The Danielson family has made significant strides in remodeling and expanding the interior service and family comfort areas of the funeral home, making it a most modern and yet 'homelike' atmosphere to serve area families. In the year 2002 a completely new preparation area was added to the facility to provide for the secure and and respectful care of the deceased. A major addition to the building was completed in the Spring of 2014.
Johnson - Danielson Funeral Home
1100 N. Michigan Street
Plymouth, Indiana 46563
Fax: (574) 936-6160